GET THE FACTS.
Here are some stats to remember about sexual violence.
- In 2014, there were 1,351 reported incidences of rape in Nevada.7
- 10.9% of high school students in Nevada were physically forced to have sexual intercourse.13
- 12.2% of high school students in Nevada have experienced sexual dating violence.13
- In 2010, 31.2 million people in the U.S. were survivors of rape.5
- In 2013, one rape took place every 6.6 minutes.7
- Nearly 1 in 5 women (19.3%) and 1 in 58 men (1.7%) in the United States have been raped at some time in their lives.6
- About 79% of women were first raped before age 25 and 40% before age 18.6
- 27% of male victims were first raped when they were when they were 10 years old or younger.4
- The majority of both female and male victims of rape knew the person who raped them.4
- An estimated 43.9% of women and 23.4% of men experienced other forms of sexual violence, which does not include rape, during their lives.5
- Sexual assault is one of the most under reported crimes, with 68% of assaults going unreported.9
- Women 18-24 who are enrolled in college are three times more likely than women in general to experience sexual violence.8
- Male college aged students are 78% more likely than non-students to be a victim of rape or sexual assault.8
- Of the 483 women who completed questionnaires about sexual assault, 18.6% reported instances of attempted rape. Incidences of rape were significantly higher when alcohol or drugs were involved.12
- Of the undergraduate women who are sexually assaulted while in college, 34% are physically forced, 57% are under the influence of alcohol or drugs and 4% are given drugs without their knowledge.8
- LGBT Community
- Lesbian women and gay man have reported levels of intimate partner violence and sexual violence equal to or higher than those of heterosexuals.10
- Nearly half of all bisexual men and four in 10 gay men have experienced a type of sexual violence besides rape in their lifetimes.10
- Nearly half of all bisexual women and one in eight lesbian women have experienced rape in their lifetimes. These rates only increase when broader definitions of sexual assault are used.10
- In a survey of transgender individuals, 64% said they had experienced sexual assault in their lifetimes.11
- Many LGBT survivors report that they experienced their first instance of sexual violence before age 25. For instance, more than 90% of bisexual women who survived rape said it occurred before age 25.10
100% of people can help. That means you, and everyone you know, can step up.